The items below are to give you a feel for what it is like to study Essential mathematics 1 (MST124).
Here is a recommended approach to using them.
- Have a look at the Outline study calendar to see that the module is spread over a period of about 8 months, delivered in 12 study units, with a number of assignments to complete.
- Read the Description of the extract to see how it fits into the module.
Each unit consists of explanatory text mixed with worked examples, and activities and exercises for students to complete. Within each unit, there are also references to other module components, such as the module website for accessing short videos, demonstrating how to solve mathematical problems, applets (short computer programs) that develop mathematical concepts, and details of how to use a computer algebra system.
- Try to work through the Extract in detail, which may well take you quite some time, but don't worry if you don't understand it all. We suggest that you print the extract and study it with paper, pen and a calculator to hand!
- Note the MST124 Handbook, which provides a summary of all the significant definitions, formulas and facts from the module. The Handbook should be used to help in completing assignment questions, and it reduces the need to remember lots of information particularly for the end-of-module examination.
- Look at the Assessments based on the extract, and think about how you would tackle them. Try to have a go at them, but remember that they rely on material which you may not have covered, so don't be discouraged if it seems difficult.
- See how a student tackled the written assignment question, and consider what you think of their solution. Then look at how the student's tutor comments on their solution.
17.8 KB Word 2007 document
This gives details of the expected pattern of study on MST124 together with details of the frequency of assignments.
By browsing through this material you should get a feel for the level of the module, its general style and approach, and some of the topics covered.