Creative Commons Licences
- Very open and flexible – anyone can do anything with your work as long as they credit you – makes wide dissemination very easy
- As Attribution but others have to licence the derived work under the same terms
- Work can be copied but not changed
- Like Attribution but work cannot be used for commercial purposes
- Like Attribution-ShareAlike but work cannot be used for commercial purposes
- Work can be shared, must be credited, no other uses allowed
I would have thought that the choice of licence would have to depend on what the author wanted to do with the work.
I find the idea of CC BY very appealing for my independent work in the learning field because it enables the full benefits of web distribution in getting ideas out and enabling others to use them.
This would change if I have undertaken a unique and highly original piece of research and I had concerns about it losing its meaning but still wanted wide dissemination - this might take me to CC BY-ND.