Finished studying french for my last module french L332, Now whenever I come across an unfamiliar word in french I look it up immediately in my french/english dictionary or on google translate.
• Watched the News in french I have watched France24 a news channel you can access it online for free.
I also read le monde and le figaro newspapers online. Now I have finished all my french modules but I am still regularly reading, watching the news in french online which I find very interesting.
• Read books in french. I have collected quite a few books from the book shop in the nearest city to where I live. The prices are quite reasonable (2nd hand) If I am really lucky I can even obtain a nearly new copy which is in excellent condition. I also return books that I have finished reading.
I have read the following in french ;
• Jules Verne- Voyage au centre de la terre( voyage to the centre of the earth)
• Victor Hugo - " les miserables,"
• "le Bossu de Notre Dame"(the hunchback of Notredam.
• The Poems of Victor Hugo. "Madame Bovary"by Flaubert. •"Germinal" and "Nana" by Emile Zola. •"Le petit prince" Novella by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
• Honoré de Balzac- "Comedie Humaine" •Marcel Proust- "Swanns way"
•"L'étranger" by Albert Camus
•Poems de Baudlaire.
Also read books by these authors;
• Simone de Beauvoire
Collette. •Philipe Sollers, •Salinger
• And many of the books from the "Maigret" french detective series by George Simenon of which I am totally addicted to!!
• Now Watching films in french Some fims I have liked to watch are; Les miserables, Germinal "Manon des Sources" and others like "Amelie" "Cafe de Flore" "Paris Je T' Aime"
"Le regle du jeu" "Jean de Florette" " Three colours blue"
"La Vie en Rose", "La Haine," "An Andalusian Dog," The 400 Blows" and "The untouchables" "Portrait of a lady on fire " (2019)I intend to watch all these films just again to make sure I can understand them.
The TV seies "Paris Police 1905"
The detective films like "Maigret" and "Spiral"
And many of the books by french authors that have been adapted for film.
I have also being watching some of the latest modern french films that have been shown on TV. Using the subtitles in english until I become more proficient in understanding french.
Each day I try to keep to studying one or more of these three mediums including online websites each day to try to keep my french skills polished and up to scratch!