- A figure of speech in which a word or phrase is applied to an object or action to which it is not literally applicable.
- A thing regarded as representative or symbolic of something else, esp. something abstract.
Wikipedia - Dictionary.com - Answers.com - Merriam-Webster
- A comparison between two things, typically on the basis of their structure and for the purpose of explanation or clarification - an analogy between the workings of nature and those of human societies - he interprets logical functions by analogy with
- A thing that is comparable to something else in significant respects - works of art were seen as an analogy for works of nature
- A process of arguing from similarity in known respects to similarity in other respects
- A process by which new words and inflections are created on the basis of regularities in the form of existing ones
- The resemblance of function between organs that have a different evolutionary origin