'If you're not lost and confused in a MOOC you are probably doing something wrong'. Martin Weller (18:45 25th March 2013)
A terrific webinar hosted by Martin Weller with George Seimens speaking. Link to the recorded event and my notes to follow.
I took away some key reasons why OER has a future:
1) Hype between terrifying and absurd.
2) State reduction in funding will see a private sector rise.
3) Increase in rest of world's desire for HE OER
4) Certificates growing.
5) The Gap
6) Accelerating time to completion
7) Credit and recognition for students who go to the trouble to gain the competencies.
8) Granular learning competencies and the gradual learning and badging to stitch together competencies.
‘MOOCs indicate that we are seeing a complexification of wishes and needs’ - so we need a multispectrum view of what universities do in society. George Seimens, (18:51 25th March 2013).