I'd heard of 'The Color Purple' - I've seen the film
The other day on Woman's Hour they interviewed the author Alice Walker and the producer Pratiba Parmar who has just made a documentary on Alice Walker called 'Beauty and Truth'. I would be worth a trip into London this Sunday - its showing at the South Bank Centre.
Some of the things said about Alice Walker:
- Born on a paper thin shed in the deep South.
- Books that have shaped cultural discourse, and started conversations ... we don't have enough woman's stories to inspire.
- Standing up for the truth, whatever the consequences.
Some of the things Alice Walker said:
- Popular from the universe, I'm popular with trees. The truth is all we have, without the truth we're lost.
- Activism is the rent I pay for living on the planet.
- We have to pay homage for living on the planet.
- All of us everyday should be thinking about being greatful for being here, for all that we have been given for nothing.
- The power of art - you can write something, you can sing something ... you can reach someone through art.
- If you have a lot of love
- We are amazing people on an incredible planet.
Here's the Pope. Here's why we should have woman bishops and priests too.
Although here latest novel 'Possessing the secret of joy' on female genetal mutilation might not go down so well.
It's left me wanting to know much more, to read more ... and take on some of this message. Simply being grateful for every day. A year ago I joined Blipfoto where you take and upload a picture a day _ my goal always to post something I was grateful, pleased or amazed to see.
The joy of being.